The Catholic Church teaches that ALL life is sacred, from the moment of conception until the moment of natural death. Whether rich or poor, healthy or physically/emotionally challenged, educated or not, young or mature, no matter their race or ethnicity, each person is created in the image and likeness of God and therefore is due the greatest of respect and dignity.
At St. Fabian we encourage the respect of all life through many different opportunities throughout the year:
- Each November we open our doors to welcome the homeless of Detroit and offer them a week of hospitality and respect.
- The Knights of Columbus sponsor a baby bottle drive each year. Parishioners are encouraged to take a baby bottle home with them and over a two week period fill it with loose change, which is then donated to a local pregnancy center that supports women have chosen to give their child life. They also lead us in a “Living Rosary” to promote life.
- We have several parishioners who take the Eucharist to our homebound parishioners, so that they know they have not been forgotten and continue to feel connected to our parish.
- The St. Fabian Chapter of St .Vincent de Paul ministers daily to those in our area who are in financial need.
- Every October we take part in the national “Life Chain” for Right to Life-Lifespan of Michigan.
- Each Advent we sell Right to Life Christmas cards to help support efforts to reverse the laws that allow abortions.
- During Advent and Lent, parishioners are invited to support local ministries that support life, such as Vista Maria–a home for traumatized and/or abused girls, residents of our local nursing homes who have no family, pregnancy centers that support women who choose life for their child, etc.
- Our Prayer Shawl ministry create beautiful handmade shawls that are prayed over as they are made, and then give to our critically ill parishioners to let them know they are remembered.
- We support numerous soup kitchens, both financially and with volunteers to work them.
- Different groups sponsor “baby showers” that benefit local pregnancy centers that support life.
- Groups will also sponsor “personal items showers” for centers for abused women.
- During election years, when necessary, we provide opportunities for parishioners to register to vote, or to sign petitions that are supported by the Catholic Church concerning life issues.
These are just a few examples of the many ways that we encourage respect for all life, in all it’s stages.